Brief History of Davis County
County was named in honor of Garret Davis, a Congressman from
Lexington, Kentucky. In its early days Davis County was
referred to as “the Hairy Nation.” The name was given
to the county because of the shaggy, rough, unkempt appearance
and rude manner of the men that resided in the area.
was an early dispute on the site of the county seat. One
site was the area of Bloomfield, and the other site was the town
of Richmond. Numerous petitions were filed on behalf of
both towns at the Territorial Legislature. The matter was
settled in an election, with Bloomfield gaining a majority.
naming of the county seat was done by the county commissioners.
Since the commissioners all favored different names, the matter
was settled by the luck of the draw. The name Bloomfield
was pulled out of a hat. The other choices were Jefferson
county was established in 1843. The first courthouse was a
two-story, hewed-log building that was finished in 1844.
The construction cost was $164, and in November 1844, $175 was
paid for lumber, glass and putty. This building underwent
many repairs, and finally in 1851, the building was abandoned.
For the next 27 years county offices were kept at various
locations in Bloomfield.
different propositions for a courthouse went to the voters.
All failed, except the last one in 1875. On August 22,
1877 the cornerstone for the present courthouse was laid.
The cost of the building was $61,496.58, and an additional
$2,500 was spent for an iron fence. The fence has since
moved to Jay Cemetery in Lick Creek township in Davis County.
June 2002, Davis County celebrated its 125th
anniversary (1877-2002) with festivities in the courtyard and
courthouse tours. A courthouse cookbook was also created
to remember the celebration.